Tuesday 27 July 2010

Interview With David Bailey

My interview with David Bailey, creative director of Kiosk, Sheffield and ex-Designers Republic:

1) What first made you interested in graphic design, in particular typography and layout?
I was never interested in typography or layout initially. I was interested in exciting image-lead communication. The type and layout just came with the territory.

I did gain an interest in typography though. My early influences being as diverse as Josef Muller-Brockmann, David Carson, Tomato, and The Designers Republic.

2) How did you start out in graphic design, and get yourself noticed in the industry?
I ran a clubnight in Sheffield with a group of designers/artists/DJs. I would do illustrations for the flyers, which were then artworked up by one of the
designers. Whilst they looked nice, I felt I wanted a stab at composing the final design/layout. So I bought myself a Mac and taught myself how to use Freehand and Photoshop.

During this time I got to know fellow Sheffielder Ian Anderson (owner/director of
The Designers Republic). He encouraged me to pursue my design interests further. I undertook an HND in graphic design and wound up being employed by The Designers Republic.

3) What does an average day consist of for you?
• 60% business matters/correspondence etc
• 38% design time
• 2% lunch.

4) Who/What has been your inspiration for your design work?
Anything and everything. No restrictions, no definitions, no rules.
Just ideas and communication.

5) How much does budget play a part in your design process?
We try to treat every commission, be it well paid, low paid or zero pay, with equal importance. However, studio time and 'working smart' often must play a part in how much time we allot each project. Therefore mental pre-planning is key.

6) How important is the cover of a publication as opposed to the design of the inner spreads?
Both are as important as each other, but have different duties to fulfill.
A cover must draw an audience in. The inner spreads must keep them there.

7) When you develop a design, in what order do you undertake a project and then in which order do you work?
1. Switch on brain
2. Sketch ideas (sometimes)
3. Switch on computer
4. Design

8) What attributes should a good layout have and why?
Contrast and space. If everything were the same size and spaced equally we'd get bored, walk away, and thus learn nothing. Good editorial design should be influenced by good editorial content.

9) What considerations need to be made when developing a layout for editorial design?
The audience.

10) Which publications do you think are particularly well designed?
Monocle (magazine)
The Guardian

11) Where do you see editorial design heading in the future?
Everywhere, thanks to mobile devices.

12) Anything else you’d like to add, or any other advice you could give to a budding designer?
Have fun. Have a plan B.
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment