Tuesday 27 July 2010

Stylist Magazine


I remember looking through Shortlist magazine (the free one that annoying people in yellow jackets shove in your face as you're walking home...) in my first year at college when I was creating my book of 100 lists. The design was nothing remarkable but I found the content to be quite interesting (which was odd for a magazine marketed at men!). So when the company behind Shortlist also released Stylist magazine I did not realise that they had a hand in the creation of this more female orientated magazine. In fact I probably wouldn't have realised they were related at all if it weren't for the same yellow jacketed idiots flinging it in my face along with Shortlist.


Because Stylist's content is more to do with fashion, high-end fashion at that, the design is also a lot more sophisticated. You can tell the magazine is free because every other page is a full page advertisement, but that doesn't stop magazines like Vogue from pulling the same tricks sadly. But in general I think they use interesting grids and combine type and image well to create something that is accessible as well as good looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment