Tuesday 10 August 2010

Starting designing...

Ok I admit, its slightly weird using indesign again after such a long break (4 months!) but I should get used to it soon. For the body copy I've decided to use 11pt Akzidenz Grotesk Light, 10pt for captions, page numbers & book headings and 12pt for intros to designers. Not sure on the heading font yet, I'm using Raleway so far and it looks pretty good.


"Raleway is an elegant sans-serif typeface, designed in a single thin weight. It is a display face that features both old style and lining numerals, standard and discretionary ligatures, a pretty complete set of diacritics, as well as a stylistic alternate inspired by more geometric sans-serif typefaces than it’s neo-grotesque inspired default character set."

I probably have used Bebas but I think everyones gone for that! Also not sure about colour choices yet, currently using my yellow brand colour considering the book is about how my work is inspired by editorial design work but that may change. I decided to start at the beginning (a very good place to start ha!) with the introduction explaining why I chose this subject etc. Here are some initial spreads for that section:


The introduction reads:

"This book focuses on the ins and outs of editorial design. It documents many important factors that need to be taken into consideration when designing publications. It looks at what works and what does not in terms of design. It also features interviews with some designers who know more about editorial design than any book could ever teach you.

As a graphic designer my main interests lie within type and layout. Implementing this knowledge into design for publications and editorial pieces came with the territory. I have a love of grids and Modernist design conventions as demonstrated within my own design work as well as my dissertation study on the influence of grids within graphic design, art and architecture.

It took a while for me to realise that structuring layouts is where my strengths lie. Over the past three years this course has helped me to develop into the person I am today. To begin with I did not care about typography to the extent I do now. I was more interested in photomanipulation, advertising and illustration despite my lack of skill in this particular area. I now realise the capabilities of good type and layout and how it can be applied to anything from print making and advertising to branding and editorial design.

The purpose of this book is to document the essential things that you need to know in order to effectively design for various forms of publication. It will look at how type, layout, budget and audience all factor in editorial design. In order to fully understand what makes editorial design good we have to look at some unsuccessful designs and consider what it is about them that hinders the aesthetic quality. 

The rest of the book is made up of work that I find to be particularly inspiring as a designer and has helped  me to develop my own work as I am firm believer that you cannot design in a vacuum. I have managed to procure interviews with some designers as a way of finding out more about them and their approach to editorial design.

Overall, this book can be viewed as a record of what interests me about editorial design and works as an example of the kind of work that I take inspiration from. I hope to display some ability in editorial work through the design and content of this piece."

I thought it would be best to show some of my publication design work in this section also. This way you can see how my work has actually been influenced by the kind of things I'm looking at. Here are some spread ideas for this:


Don't know where the random yellow bar has come from on the large exhibition leaflet image, probs the jpg exportation. I think the layout works better with explanatory text so I'll keep that. Quite like the last one...


I then decided to try a different colour scheme as I got bored of the yellow. I was looking at an old ASOS magazine and noticed it had the most beautiful colour scheme - light grey, black and neon orange - I'll blog some pictures of it tomorrow. I can't get neon printed at lulu I don't think, but the resulting Pantone shades are pretty (on screen anyway). I like this a lot. I might try using grey, black and the other neon pantones for the different sections of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment