Wednesday 11 August 2010

Type Journal

When I was looking for those two magazines I had saved I came across my type journal from the 2nd year lessons with Graham. I often spout on about how I loved those sessions and learned so much from them so I decided to flick through it. There were some cool editorial designs but too bad quality print outs for me to put here. I even drew out loads of layouts. I think most of them were inspired by Josef Muller-Brockmann. Heres some more layout ideas to add to the collection!


At the front there was some interesting notes from the first lesson:

  • 72pts is about an inch in size. This refers to the size of the moveable type block that the letter is on - not the size of the letter itself. This is why the size of each font differs at a set point size.
  • Each font can give a word a different meaning.
  • Try to work with just two different fonts - a serif and a sans-serif. What you then do with them is what creates meaning.
  • Apple key, shift, more than/less than to increase/decrease size on InDesign.
  • Type analysis - serif/sans-serif, uppercase/lowercase/mixture, weight, size, position.
  • Colour is not that important - if you need a colour to connote something, you've probably chosen the wrong typeface.
Ahh I miss Graham's hard nosed typography rules. No script fonts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment